2017-05-18 / Front Page

Pigeon stand off ends peacefully

By Cindy Centofanti
Staff Writer • ccentofanti@mihomepaper.com • 989-269-9918

PIGEON — After a nearly 10-hour standoff with police, a Pigeon man who was reportedly armed with a gun surrendered himself peacefully early Tuesday morning.

Multiple law enforcement agencies responded to the scene of a man who barricaded himself in his home after a neighbor called 9-1-1 to report the man had pointed a gun at him Monday evening.

The incident stemmed from an alleged verbal altercation the man had with his wife in the front yard of their home, located on S. Main Street in Pigeon, according to Pigeon Police Chief Eric Wissner.

The wife had fled the scene, according to a neighbor who was close by when the altercation happened. The witness told police he became the target of malice when the suspect raised a firearm at him before retreating into his home.

Local law enforcement arrived at the suspect’s residence at approximately 6:30 p.m. and closed down much of the road. Nearby residents were advised to stay inside their homes to ensure their safety, Wissner said.

The Huron County Prosecutor’s Office authorized a search warrant due to the man’s alleged behavior. When police attempted to execute the warrant, the man would not come out of his home; however, law enforcement officers were able to communicate with him via cellphones, Wissner said.

Wissner added that while officers were working to draw the man out of the home, local law enforcement was in close communication with the man’s immediate family.

The man surrendered at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, with no harm to himself or anyone else.

Wissner said the incident had a great resolution, as the man came out peacefully and complied with the instructions of law enforcement. Wissner said the response was a joint effort including members of the Elkton Police Department, Michigan State Police Caro Post, Winsor Township Fire Department and Huron County Sheriff’s Department.

The man is not lodged in jail and instead is being evaluated at Scheurer Hospital in Pigeon as of Tuesday afternoon.

Huron County Prosecutor Timothy J. Rutkowski said the man could face a charge of felonious assault, which carries a maximum four-year sentence. He added the man will be treated as a suspect as the investigation unfolds.

Currently, there is an active arrest warrant for the man, which was issued after the incident occurred and is pending authorization from the Huron County Magistrate Court.

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2018 Huron County View, All Rights Reserved

Click here for digital edition
2017-05-18 digital edition