2017-11-09 / Community

Community House celebrates 100th anniversary

HARBOR BEACH - The Harbor Beach Area District Library conducted an Open House on Sunday, Nov. 5 in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the donation of the property to build a Community House for the citizens of Harbor Beach. George J. Jenks and Anna Belle J. Scranton wrote a letter to the Harbor Beach City Council in October, 1917 with a proposition that the city of Harbor Beach needed a building that would be a place for public meetings, recreation, and educational purposes that would be known as a “Community House.” They offered to donation property that was owned by the Jenks family that functioned as a store. The City Council accepted the proposal in November of 1917 and went on to renovate the property into the first Community House. That building burned in 1926, but was rebuilt immediately, with the current Community House building opening in 1927.

Those who attended the Open House had an opportunity to tour the building, enjoy cookies provided by the Friends of the Library and enter a prize drawing. The prize drawing winners were: Cheryl Rink, Theatre gift certificate; Clara Smith, tote bag; and Patricia Hagedon, cookbook. There was also a free concert by “The Raisin Pickers” in the Theatre as part of the celebration, according to Harbor Beach Area District Library Director Vicki Mazure.

Return to top

Copyright © 2009-2017 Huron County View, All Rights Reserved

Click here for digital edition
2017-11-09 digital edition